Mirror Mirror on the wall

LAMPLIGHT DEVOTIONAL GUIDE
“Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path”
Psalm 119:105 (NIV).
“Living From the Eternal Perspective”
A Devotional From
PATHH Ministries

DATE:
Monday, January 31, 2011

HEADING
Mirror Mirror on the wall
By Teddy A Jones
TEXT (Matt. 7: 3)

3 “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?
Why do you [a]stare from without at the [b]very small particle that is in your brother's eye but do not become aware of and consider the beam [c]of timber that is in your own eye? [AMP]

It's easy to see a smudge on your neighbour's face and be oblivious to the ugly sneer on your own.[MSG]

COMMENTARY

Scripture is very clear on the elements of the old life that we are to strip off and the elements of the new life we are to put on. Wearing the new garments over the long haul and avoiding the old garments requires much intentional discipline on our part. Anyone who takes pride in their dressing knows that a mirror is indispensable. It is little wonder then that Jesus challenges us to live constantly before the mirror of self examination and that His brother, James describes the Word of God as a mirror.

The founder of Panasonic, was moved to write: “Zeng Shen was young enough to be Confucius's grandson, yet he won high praise from the old sage. One of the sayings for which Zeng Shen is famous goes something like this. "Every day I ask myself three questions. The first is, 'Have I sinned in my thoughts and actions toward others?' The second is, 'Have I broken faith in any of my friendships?' The third is, 'Have I tried to teach anything to others I have not fully learned and understood myself?'"

Care must be taken by the disciple to actively, deliberately and consistently cultivate the habit of self examination, spirit led self examination. We must stand before the mirror of the Word, carefully looking at our selves, pointedly checking our spiritual apparel and making the adjustments. To look and not do is to see and forget. We must be surgical! ‘The unexamined life is not worth living’ – Soccrates.

Something to Meditate on:
Have I thrown a sheet over my mirror?

A decision I need to make
I will become best friends with the mirror

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time To Major In The Minors