Standing on the promises

LAMPLIGHT DEVOTIONAL GUIDE
“Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path”
Psalm 119:105 (NIV).
“Living From the Eternal Perspective”

A Devotional From
PATHH Ministries
DATE:
Thursday January 6, 2011

HEADING
Standing on the promises: A solid foundation
By Rev. Teddy A Jones

TEXT (Joshua 1:1- 9)
I'm giving you every square inch of the land you set your foot on—just as I promised Moses ... All your life, no one will be able to hold out against you. In the same way I was with Moses, I'll be with you. I won't give up on you; I won't leave you. GOD, your God, is with you every step you take." [Message]

No man will be able to stand before you all the days of your life Just as I have been with Moses, I will be with you; (F)I will not fail you or forsake you... do not turn from it to the right or to the left, so that you may have success wherever you go... be careful to do according to all that is written in it; (J)for then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have success... for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go." [NASB]

COMMENTARY
“A man apt to promise is a man apt to forget.” – Thomas Fuller. Fuller is on to something there. In fact Scripture cautions against being too quick to make vows and I have a strong suspicion that it is this observation which informed the folklore ‘a promise is a comfort to a fool.’ The point of departure in this seeming hopeless state is that God is not a man that He should lie, He watches over His word to perform it, His words do not return to Him empty handed but they flourish and prosper in the very purpose for which He sent them.

God’s stirring word to Joshua to move on from the place of being stuck after the death of Moses did not just come with a road map but also some deep words of assurance laced with his covenant keeping character. Promises of perpetual guidance, His perpetual presence, provision of wisdom, perpetual victory over obstacles [human or otherwise], and ultimately the Promised Land. Joshua, I, God [I am], your God is with you always. Hear the promises reaching the zenith in the reminder of who it is that spoke. He who had revealed himself as I am. The fullness of that name and it’s import! Credentials matter!

Moving forward from a place of despondence, frustration, depression, lethargy, bondage etc may seem daunting. But with accompanying promises like these and others from a God like this it’s like oil or grease for a rusted wheel. Arise, because: ‘Standing on the promises that cannot fail when the howling storms of fear and doubt assail, by the Living Word of God you shall prevail.’

Something to Meditate on:
You can't break God's promises by leaning on them!

A decision I need to make:
Do I need to place a stop order on the construction of my life or goals so as to build on the foundation of God’s promises?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time To Major In The Minors

The Wheat and the Tares